|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
  
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
News Headline : > Black money in elections fuels post-election corruption: Nahid   > Naval drones halt operations at Russian oil terminal   > Emergency in Sri Lanka as death toll from Cyclone Ditwah hits 153   > Khaleda’s condition unchanged for 3 days, treatment to continue at Evercare   > No Alternative to ‘Sheaf of Paddy’ for Transforming Manikganj into a Modern District : Rita   > Rita: Victory of the Paddy Sheaf Must Be Ensured by Preserving Religious Harmony   > Special Prayer Held in Manikganj Seeking Recovery of Begum Zia, Tabarruk Distributed   > Trump says `soon` to begin stopping Venezuela drug trafficking `by land`   > Putin says Russia will fight on unless Ukraine cedes land   > Instruction given to arrest attackers on Baul artistes immediately: Shafiqul Alam  

   International
Hong Kong`s deadliest blaze in decades kills at least 94, scores missing
  28, November, 2025, 11:16:43:AM

Firefighters searched the last of the housing estate flats torched by Hong Kong`s worst fire in decades on Friday, with the death toll rising to at least 94 overnight and scores still missing.

Authorities said the fire had been contained to four of the sprawling complex`s almost 2,000 units, more than 36 hours after the blaze broke out on the eight-building estate.

Firefighters will conduct search and rescue operations in response to 25 remaining requests for help and break into all flats on the estate by 9 AM (0100 GMT), said deputy director of fire services Derek Armstrong Chan.


More than 50 people were still hospitalised, with 12 in critical condition and 28 in serious condition. Scores remain missing, although the exact number has not been updated since early Thursday.

"The fire spread so quickly. I saw one hose trying to save several buildings, and I felt it was far too slow," said a man surnamed Suen.

An AFP reporter at the scene on Friday saw that the fire at Wang Fuk Court had weakened significantly, but sparks and thick smoke still occasionally burst forth from the structure.

Firefighters continued to douse the building with water to cool the structure and prevent embers from re-igniting.

Authorities have begun investigating what sparked the blaze -- the financial hub`s worst in almost 80 years -- including the presence of bamboo scaffolding and plastic mesh wrapped around the structures as part of a major renovation.

Hong Kong`s anti-corruption body said Thursday it had launched a probe into renovation work at the complex, hours after police said they had arrested three men on suspicion of negligently leaving foam packaging at the fire site.

Residents of Wang Fuk Court, located in Hong Kong`s northern district of Tai Po, told AFP that they did not hear any fire alarms and had to go door-to-door to alert neighbours to the danger.

"Ringing doorbells, knocking on doors, alerting the neighbours, telling them to leave -- that`s what the situation was like," resident Suen said.

Cannot describe it

Of the 94 people confirmed dead as of 6:00 AM local time (22:00 GMT Thursday), one was a 37-year-old firefighter and two were Indonesians working as migrant domestic workers.

It is Hong Kong`s deadliest fire since 1948, when an explosion followed by a fire killed at least 135 people.

But the toll could yet rise, with city leader John Lee saying in the early hours of Thursday that 279 people were unaccounted for.

Firefighters said later that they had made contact with some of those people and authorities have not updated the figure since.

On Thursday, police at a nearby community centre hoping to identify victims showed photos of bodies pulled from the fire to people seeking missing loved ones.

"If the faces are unrecognisable, there are personal items for people to identify," said a woman surnamed Cheung who was looking for her relatives.

"I cannot describe my feelings. There were children," she said.

Deadly fires were once a regular scourge in densely populated Hong Kong, especially in poorer neighbourhoods, but improved safety measures have made them far less common.

Hong Kong authorities will immediately inspect all housing estates undergoing major work following the disaster, city leader Lee said Thursday.

The city`s number-two official Eric Chan told a news conference Thursday it was "imperative to expedite the full transition to metal scaffolding".

Hong Kong`s government said it was setting up a HK$300 million (38.5 million US dollars) fund to help victims of the fire.

City authorities said they had opened nine shelters and were organising temporary accommodation and emergency funds for those who had lost their homes.

Activities around Hong Kong`s legislative elections, set to take place on December 7, have been suspended.

Hellish scenes

Sections of charred scaffolding fell from the burning apartment blocks in hellish scenes late on Wednesday, as flames inside apartments sometimes belched out through windows into a night sky that glowed orange.

Fire services said the wind and drifting debris likely spread the fire from one building to another.

Some of the residents in adjacent blocks who had been evacuated as a precaution were allowed back into their homes on Thursday afternoon.

Crowds moved by the tragedy gathered near the complex to organise aid for displaced residents and firefighters, part of a spontaneous effort in a city that has some of the world`s most densely packed and tallest residential blocks.

Volunteers distributed clothes and lunch boxes at the open-air podium of a nearby mall, while a few people gave out flyers with information about missing people.

"It`s truly touching," said Stone Ngai, 38, one of the organisers of an impromptu aid station.

"The spirit of Hong Kong people is that when one is in trouble, everyone lends support... It shows that Hong Kong people are full of love."

AFP



  
  সর্বশেষ
Economic justice must for sustainable development: Dr Shafiqur
No Alternative to ‘Sheaf of Paddy’ for Transforming Manikganj into a Modern District : Rita
Rita: Victory of the Paddy Sheaf Must Be Ensured by Preserving Religious Harmony
Special Prayer Held in Manikganj Seeking Recovery of Begum Zia, Tabarruk Distributed
Digital Truck Scale | Platform Scale | Weighing Bridge Scale
Digital Load Cell
Digital Indicator
Digital Score Board
Junction Box | Chequer Plate | Girder
Digital Scale | Digital Floor Scale
Dynamic Solution IT
POS | Super Shop | Dealer Ship | Show Room Software | Trading Software | Inventory Management Software
Accounts,HR & Payroll Software
Hospital | Clinic Management Software

Editor : M.G. Kibria Chowdhury Published By the Editor From 85/1 Nayapalton 5th Floor, Dhaka -1000 & Printing Him From Sharayatpur Printing & Press 234 Fakirafool, Motijheel Dhaka-1000.
Phone : 9346453 Mobile : 01712-714493 E-mail: worldreport21@gmail.com