Rescuers extracted two men alive from the debris of a hotel in Myanmar`s capital early Wednesday. However, five days after the powerful earthquake struck, most teams were recovering only bodies, and concerns were rising that ongoing military attacks on resistance forces might obstruct relief efforts.
The 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck at midday on Friday, destroying thousands of buildings, collapsing bridges, and damaging roads. The death toll climbed to 2,886 on Wednesday, with another 4,639 injured, according to state television MRTV. Local reports suggest the actual numbers may be much higher.
Rescue efforts continue in Myanmar earthquake aftermath as death toll surpasses 2,700
The earthquake exacerbated an already dire humanitarian crisis in Myanmar, where a civil war had displaced over 3 million people and left nearly 20 million in need even before the disaster, according to the United Nations.
Two major armed resistance forces, which have been fighting the military since it seized power from Aung San Suu Kyi`s democratically elected government in 2021, have declared ceasefires to facilitate humanitarian aid. However, the military has continued its attacks.
“Once again, they are prioritising regime survival over the well-being of the people, even in the face of disaster,” said Richard Horsey, a senior adviser for Myanmar at the Crisis Group.
In Naypyitaw, a team of Turkish and local rescuers used an endoscopic camera to locate Naing Lin Tun on a lower floor of the damaged hotel where he worked. They carefully pulled him through a hole drilled in the floor and placed him on a gurney nearly 108 hours after he was trapped.
Appearing weak but conscious, the 26-year-old was shirtless and covered in dust in a video released by the local fire department. He was fitted with an IV drip and transported for medical care. Later, MRTV reported that another 26-year-old was rescued from the same building, more than 121 hours after the quake.
Elsewhere, a Malaysian and local team rescued a man from a collapsed home in Sagaing township, near the earthquake’s epicentre close to Mandalay, Myanmar`s second-largest city.
The quake also impacted neighbouring Thailand, where a high-rise under construction in Bangkok collapsed. One body was retrieved from the rubble early Wednesday, raising the death toll in Bangkok to 22, with 35 others injured, mostly at the construction site.
Military Rejects Ceasefire
The Three Brotherhood Alliance, a powerful coalition of militias that has seized significant territory from the military, declared a unilateral one-month ceasefire on Tuesday to aid humanitarian relief. The shadow opposition National Unity Government, formed by lawmakers ousted in 2021, had already called a ceasefire for its forces.
Morgan Michaels, a Singapore-based analyst at the International Institute of Strategic Studies, noted that the announcements pressured the military government to follow suit. However, he cautioned that even if the military agreed, it was uncertain whether a temporary halt in fighting could lead to a lasting de-escalation.
“Some, especially within the international community, may hope a humanitarian pause could pave the way for broader peace efforts,” he said. “But strong opposition remains within Myanmar to negotiating with the regime.”
Turning a humanitarian ceasefire into something enduring would require skilful diplomacy, he added, which is far from guaranteed.
So far, Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing, the head of Myanmar’s military government, has rejected the ceasefire calls.
The military insists that even if resistance groups are not actively fighting, their continued organisation and training constitute “attacks.” According to the state-run Global New Light of Myanmar on Wednesday, the military “will continue to take necessary security measures.”
While the Three Brotherhood Alliance has not launched any attacks since the earthquake, at least one other resistance group has, and the military has responded with airstrikes and assaults.
Allegations of an Attack on a Chinese Red Cross Convoy
An opposition militia linked to the Brotherhood Alliance alleged that the military fired on a convoy of nine Chinese Red Cross vehicles late Tuesday in Shan state near Ohn Ma Tee village.
The Ta’ang National Liberation Army claimed the Red Cross had informed the military of its route while delivering supplies to Mandalay.
However, military spokesman Maj. Gen. Zaw Min Tun denied prior notification, stating that security forces had fired warning shots at a convoy that refused to stop near Ohn Ma Tee, where fighting with the TNLA had recently occurred.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun did not confirm the attack but stated that “relief supplies provided by the Red Cross Society of China have arrived in Myanmar and are en route to Mandalay.” He reassured that “rescue personnel and supplies are safe.”
China is a key economic partner for Myanmar and one of its largest military suppliers, along with Russia.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is investigating the incident.
More International Aid Arrives in Myanmar
Countries have pledged millions in aid to support Myanmar and humanitarian organisations tackling the crisis.
On Wednesday, Australia announced an additional $4.5 million in assistance, supplementing the $1.25 million it had already committed. A rapid response team has also been deployed.
India has delivered aid via air and naval ships, sending supplies and around 200 rescue workers. Other nations have also sent teams, including 270 personnel from China, 212 from Russia, and 122 from the United Arab Emirates.
A three-person team from the U.S. Agency for International Development arrived Tuesday to assess how best to provide assistance, given Washington’s limited resources following foreign aid budget cuts. The U.S. has pledged $2 million in emergency aid.
Unclear Impact Beyond Major Cities
Most reports have come from Mandalay, near the earthquake’s epicentre, and Naypyitaw, about 270 kilometres (165 miles) to the north.
Many areas remain inaccessible due to power outages, disrupted communication, and damaged roads, but additional reports are slowly emerging.
In Singu township, about 65 kilometres (40 miles) north of Mandalay, a cave-in killed 27 gold miners, according to the independent Democratic Voice of Burma.
In the Inle Lake region, northeast of the capital, many people perished when homes built on wooden stilts collapsed, the Global New Light of Myanmar reported, though specific figures were not provided.
|